Lord help me. I picked up Maddie at her sweet little preschool today and as we were walking to the car she waved good-bye to a little boy in her class. I thought nothing of it until the following conversation occurred in the van:
Maddie: See Mommy? 'Dat's the boy I was telling you about. He's my 'paht-nor 'dis week."
Me: Oh! That's James!
Maddie: Yeah. He's my new 'boy-fwend.
Back story: Maddie had a little boyfriend in Oklahoma. His name is Kason. We have sent him letters and pictures, one as recently as yesterday. Apparently he has some competition.
Me: Your boyfriend?
Maddie: Yeah. We 'pwayed together in the kitchen and I cooked eggs and he 'pwe-tended to eat 'dem. And 'den we laughed 'cause 'dat's so 'sih-wee.
Me: I'm glad you've found a new friend.
Maddie: Yeah. I'm going to 'meh-wee him.
So she's ditching Kason and she's going to marry her first rebound guy because they laughed together once? Young love is fickle.
Then Claire piped up from the 3rd row of the van:
Claire (rolling eyes): Maaaddieee. There are lots of boys in the world. You should meet some more of them before you pick one to marry.
A voice of reason! I patted myself on the back for my women's studies minor and the obvious impact it has had on my oldest child. Then Claire continued with a little story about her school bus:
Claire: Victoria only sits next to me for a short while. She gets off the bus right by the school. Then I'm lonely in my seat with nobody to talk to.
Me: Does anyone sit in the seat across the aisle from you that you could talk to?
Claire: No. Just a boy, but I don't like to talk to him.
Me: Oh.
Claire: But I do like to look at the boy who sits in the seat in front of him.
Me: You like to LOOK at him? Why?
Claire (a bit dreamy): Because he's handsome.
Seriously? I have one planning to marry a boy because they played together once and the other staring dreamily at boys on the bus. Awesome. Can't wait until they're older.
3 comments:
Isn't it fun having girls?
Boy, is Phil going to have fun watching over those two--they're going to be lookers (is Grandma a little prejudice?).
Give them a hug from us.
I love this! Jake got "married" at age 3 to a little girl named "Emerson." They then both transferred to different preschool rooms and after the summer switch are now back in the same room. The teacher was marvelling at their instant friendship. She iddn't know the history until I filled her in and then she just lauged and said they are inseperable (she evens gets him to play My Little Ponies)! They tell all the teachers they are "married"....it starts EARLY! LOL ~sarah mitchell
my comment is having a hard time posting so just going to post anon and sign my name :)
So funny...I don't think Ethan even notices anything about girls!
Post a Comment