He can sometimes be a tiny bit stubborn. And by that I mean really, super stubborn.
Time for potty-training.
All of the parenting books will tell you to just wait and the kiddo will 'get it' when he or she is ready to 'get it'. Well that ain't cool. This little guy has to go to preschool this fall so his mommy doesn't lose the last of her marbles! Plus, he understood the concept. He just didn't have the motivation.
Then one morning I was having some gals over and was busily doing the requisite pre-company cleaning scramble. Colin was still in underwear because I hadn't remembered to put him in a pull-up. It was a rookie mistake -- I wasn't going to be paying close attention to him. Right after I damp-mopped the floors he had an accident. On my clean floor.
ACK! Why, oh WHY??? WHEN was he going to 'get it'???
Then, as I pondered what I was doing wrong (while re-mopping the floor) and thinking that the negativity probably wasn't helping ("ACK! NOT ON MY CLEAN FLOOR! It goes in the POTTY!"), I remembered something from waaaaaay back when I used to have a job: behavior charts fix darned near everything for little kids! Especially when the thing needing fixing is motivation-related! While my brain was working I tried to remember something else that I used to know back then. Nope. Nothin'. Oh well. This was a useful tidbit so I'll be thankful.
Within 20 minutes I had a sticker chart printed up and a reward for him to earn and just like that Mr. Man 'got it'.
My chart was a little crappy, though, so when Phil got home he printed him up a nice personalized one. Side note: my man is good with the graphic arts. Check out Colin with his completed chart!
He's only had a handful of accidents since we started the sticker charts. I love me some sticker charts. They keep everybody positive and put the control in the kiddo's hands, which makes my stubborn kiddo happy. And I love that
1 comment:
I do believe he takes after his daddy--he'll do it only when he is good and ready!! And then it's a done deal. Congrats, Colin
Post a Comment