Saturday, May 26, 2012

New family member: Clyde Patrick Sampson Shea

After a few months of NOT having a dog (and not planning to get a new dog) I had a change of heart.  I can't say I had a very valid reason for wanting one.  The house just felt empty without a fur ball around.  Luckily my husband knows when I'm not going to give up on an idea so he humored me and agreed to go look at dogs.

After checking out available beagles on petfinder.com, I found this guy at the Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation.  Here's what their website said about him:

Sampson is 5 years old and 25 pounds. Sampson is a gentle, quiet and sweet beagle. He is friendly with dogs and people and very gentle with children. Sampson enjoys sniffing in the grass, walks with his humans and plenty of nap time. He will make a wonderful family pet.

Who could resist that write up and those brown eyes?  Not this gal.  So off we went to meet him at PetSmart.  And after meeting him we just had to bring him home.  Turns out he's a really sweet guy.  He loves the kids -- even Colin (who pulls on his ears and gives him hugs that a less-friendly dog wouldn't dig on).  He's mellow.  He doesn't make much noise (except for the snoring, but that's cute).  He chases the squirrels off of Phil's bird feeders in the backyard.  He wags his tail and asks for belly rubs.  And every day he makes sure that he's still not allowed on the sofa.  Apparently one can never be sure when that rule will expire so it's prudent to test it out every day.

The shelter gave him the name "Sampson" when they found him wandering in the wilderness of West Virginia, so we didn't feel too bad about renaming him.  He shall henceforth be known as Clyde.  Isn't that much better than Sampson?  Yeah, I'm not sure it's better, either, but that's what happens when I let Phil have naming rights.  Claire picked the middle name "Patrick" and Madeline thought he should retain "Sampson" as part of his name.  So he is "Clyde Patrick Sampson Shea". But he's not a fancy dude so he usually just goes by "Clyde".
He likes to sniff the backyard.  A lot.

Trying to find a place to escape


Is there a dog on the other side of this fence?


1 comment:

PawPaw said...

He's a very handsome guy and a lucky dog to have found a good home.