Friday, January 2, 2009

Oh give me a home...

...where the buffalo roam...



On my parents' last full day here when we decided to be a little adventurous so we all loaded into their minivan and checked out the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It's only about a half hour from our house but we had never gone to see it.

It was really neat (for Altus, anyway). We were lucky enough to spot some roaming longhorn cattle, ducks, a skunk, buffalo (bison?), and a bunch of prairie dogs. We climbed a mountain (OK, we drove to the top and then stepped up three steps to the viewing platform). We ate longhorn burgers at the historic Meers Store and Restaurant. And we saw the Holy City of Lawton, which was a highlight for the girls because they thought the buildings were all castles.

Anyway, we sure had fun with Gramma and Pawpaw and we miss them now that they had to go back to Illinois. We'll see them next month, though, along with Grammy and Grampy, in Puerto Vallarta!

4 comments:

Susan B said...

You're going to Puerto Vallarta? Why is this the first I've heard of this? Seriously...I have to read your blog to know anything!

Susan said...

Great pictures...were those buffalo just humongous? It looked pretty cold there-everyone had coats on. I'm sure you're looking forward to some warm weather in Mexico-I'm so jealous! We hope to find some sun of our own next month as we head to Disneyland. Cross fingers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie...

Got to visit a little while with your Mom and Dad in Lincoln last Sunday on their way home. They REALLY had a good time with you guys. Your Mom was telling about the Wildlife Refuge..and, the hamburgers at Meers Store and Restaurant. Seeing the pictures, I see it's even more 'rustic' than she described it. Love all the pictures too. Sure is nice to read your 'blog' and keep up with what's goin' on in your lives. Take care...love ya lots.

Anonymous said...

That was a fun day, wasn't it? I wish I had remembered to eat the remainder of my Meers hamburger before we left!