It was 90 years ago on October 9th that my great-grandfather was captured by the Germans in France during The Great War. His story is an amazing one, and my uncle has put Grandpa's journal online so that it can be read by those who are interested. It helps keep his memory alive and also gives us all a glimpse of what those soldiers experienced.
And here are a few photos that we took during a trip to the battlefields with my parents when Phil and I lived in Germany:
Bois de Chaume

Same shot, 90 years ago:


4 comments:
Katie...thanks for making this available to everyone. Over the years I've read Grandpa's account of the war several time, and, I still have a hard time imagining what a horrible time that must have been for him and the thousands of other young men. The more I read his story, the more I truly believe he was a war hero..and, should have gotten some recognition. Some of what he did , I think, could qualify him for the Medal of Honor for extreme bravery.
Katie, thank you so much for recognizing Great-Grandpa Dermody today. I've read the story and think it's amazing. I wish I could have known him.
BTW, I'm stealing the picture of him you've got here. You'll probably see it on my blog soon. :)
No prob, Beth - I actually stole the picture from Uncle Dave! :)
Thanks for the photo credit, Katie. Just want to make it perfectly clear that I didn't actually TAKE that photo 90 years ago. I found it in a history of the 33rd Division and saw it was the same spot we had photographed. What a coincidence that we shot the exact view taken by that WWI photographer
Post a Comment