Saturday, June 23, 2007

Good-bye Nap-nap

Our baby has truly grown up. She's been chewing holes in her nap-naps (pacifiers) and we were down to the last one (not including the one I have stashed in case of a serious emergency, but she doesn't know about that one). Claire looked at me today and told me the last one was broken and she needed to throw it away. I think it just didn't taste right because it was rubber instead of silicone like her others were. She insisted it was broken. Anyway, I really tried to talk her out of it and explained how that particular nap-nap was the LAST one and the stores can't sell us any more because they can only sell them to babies. I knew what would happen come nap time and I really didn't want to deal with it. But she was adamant about it and marched the nap-nap over to the trash can herself and threw it away. It was in the trash can in my sewing room, so I actually pulled it out and stashed it, but I figured she'd go hunting for it later. And she did.

At nap time Claire was heartbroken. I'm very proud of my resolve; I gently reminded her that it had gone out with the trash. I just kept thinking that since she had thrown it away that this might be the most gentle way to do it. She needed lots of hugs at nap time and I finally curled up with her (can't recommend sleeping in a toddler bed - it's not comfy.) until she fell asleep. OK, I fell asleep too. :) Maddie woke up from her nap about an hour later and I snuck out of Claire's room to go get her. So far no tears tonight at bedtime, but she's been talking for half and hour in her bed. Cross your fingers that it goes well tonight. Our little baby is such a big girl now.

2 comments:

Bill, Heidi, plus all the kids said...

I remember those days with Megan. Be strong Claire, you can do it :)

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the photo make you feel kind of sad to see her growing up, though?